My real blogs

This is not where I do my actual postings, instead it is a link to my private family blog, and my public blog about life. Just click on the link to get where you want to go!

If you would like to be invited to my personal family blog, please just shoot me an email!


Sunday, March 6, 2011

There comes a time....

It seems that there comes a time in every blogger's life when she asks herself the question about her blog,

To go private, or not to go private?

This is a question I have been pondering over for a while. I love that being public allows people to stumble onto my blog. I love that it makes the whole process much easier- with friends who have public blogs, you can just keep their name on your blog roll and check it out any time. It can be more complicated with private blogs. However, public blogs make me a bit worried about my family's privacy, especially since my husband and I are both going into helping professions, and don't need clients reading up on our personal life. So, I think I found the perfect solution:

I'm splitting my blog in two.

I do want to be able to post personal things for those family and friends who are far away and I want to be a part of my life. So, I will be keeping a personal family blog that is private. 

I also want to create a blog that is less about the details of my family, and is more about my thoughts on womanhood, being a wife and stay-at-home mom, drama therapy, projects I'm working on, and the finer things in life. This blog will be kept public, and will be less of a family journal and more of an intellectual exercise. 
  What does this mean for you, the reader?
I wanted to make things as simple as possible for anyone who reads this blog. I know that many of you, like me, keep track of people through a "blog roll" on the side of your own blog, and when someone goes private, that no longer updates. Some of my friends had a brilliant solution:

Keep this blog address for updates.
I will keep this blog address (becktacular.blogspot.com) and I will update it with the title of the post on my private blog and the link to that post. I'll link both my private and public blog on to this address, so you'll have one stop shopping.
So, what happens now?
If you'd like to be invited to my private family blog (and believe me, you do!) then just shoot me an email with your email address. My email is anna.v.beck{at}gmail{dot}com . Then, just check up on this blog, like you normally would, and it will link you to any new posts. 

Don't be shy! If you know me, I would like you to be a part of my private blog.

For future reference, my new family blog will be: becktacularfamily.blogspot.com and it already has new and exciting posts for your reading pleasure.

My new public blog will be becktacularwoman.blogspot.com (I know, I'm not too creative with the different names) and that will hopefully be up and running in about a week. 

Thank you, and let me know if any of this didn't make sense!

3 comments:

Jen said...

It is a difficult choice, but now it's not that big of a deal for us and we do the whole 2nd blog thing to let others know when we've posted, works well. :)

love you! and of course i need an invite!

Lisa said...

That is a great idea - I had my blog private but family members who are out of state and not very computer savvy complained all the time about not being able to see my blog. AHHH its not that hard to log in! Maybe I will have to have a "how to get on my blog" session with all my family this summer so I can go private again. I think its better when posting personal family stuff! :) I sent you an e-mail with my e-mail so make sure you invite me! :)

kathy w. said...

Thanks for inviting me to your private blog. It's bookmarked and ready to read. Love you!